Is Eucalyptus Safe For Cats?

Eucalyptus is a popular ornamental plant that is known for its fragrant leaves and beautiful flowers. However, it is important to know that eucalyptus is toxic to cats and can cause serious health problems if ingested.

The active ingredient in eucalyptus that is toxic to cats is called eucalyptol. This compound can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and difficulty breathing if ingested. In severe cases, it can even lead to liver damage and death. Eucalyptol (also known as cineole) is a toxic compound found in the leaves, bark, and branches of eucalyptus trees, which makes the entire plant toxic to cats.

In order to keep your cat safe, it is best to keep eucalyptus plants out of reach of cats. This may mean placing the plants on high shelves or in rooms that are not accessible to your cat. If you have a cat that is prone to eating plants, it may be best to avoid having eucalyptus in your home altogether.

It is also important to note that eucalyptus oil, which is commonly used in aromatherapy and as a natural remedy for a variety of ailments, is also toxic to cats. Keep the oil and diffusers out of reach of cats, and never apply the oil directly on your cat’s skin or fur.

Cats are curious animals and may chew on plants, so it’s important to keep potentially toxic plants out of reach or consider not having them in your home if you have a cat. It’s always best to err on the side of caution and keep your cat safe.

Get your first month for $5 with code 23GOFETCH

Symptoms of Eucalyptus Poisoning

The symptoms of eucalyptus poisoning in cats can vary depending on the amount of eucalyptus ingested and the individual cat’s sensitivity to the toxic compounds. Some common symptoms include:

  1. Drooling: Cats may drool excessively due to nausea or a burning sensation in the mouth.
  2. Vomiting: Eucalyptus can cause stomach irritation, leading to vomiting.
  3. Diarrhea: The toxic compounds in eucalyptus can cause diarrhea.
  4. Difficulty breathing: Eucalyptus can cause respiratory distress and make it difficult for the cat to breathe.
  5. Loss of appetite: The cat may lose interest in food due to nausea or stomach discomfort.
  6. Lethargy: The cat may become weak, tired and lethargic
  7. Changes in urine color: Eucalyptus can cause changes in urine color, such as dark brown or red.
  8. Jaundice: Eucalyptus can cause liver damage and may cause yellowing of the skin and eyes.

Symptoms of eucalyptus poisoning can appear within a few hours after ingestion and can range from mild to severe.

Seek Veterinary Care

If you suspect that your cat has ingested eucalyptus or any other toxic substance, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Here are some signs that your cat needs immediate medical attention:

  1. Symptoms appear quickly: If your cat is showing symptoms of eucalyptus poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhoea, or difficulty breathing, within a few hours of ingesting the plant, seek veterinary care immediately.
  2. Difficulty breathing: Cats that are having difficulty breathing should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible as it can be a sign of severe poisoning or a severe allergic reaction which can be life-threatening.
  3. Seizures: Seizures can be a sign of severe toxicity and require immediate treatment.
  4. Collapse: If your cat collapses or loses consciousness, it’s an emergency and needs immediate veterinary attention.
  5. Jaundice: Eucalyptus can cause liver damage and may cause yellowing of the skin and eyes, which is a sign of jaundice. This can be a sign of severe poisoning, and the cat should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
  6. Blood in vomit or faeces: Blood in the vomit or faeces can be a sign of internal bleeding and require immediate treatment.

It’s always better to be safe than sorry, even if you’re not completely sure that your cat has ingested eucalyptus or any toxic substance, if you notice any abnormal symptoms in your cat, it’s important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible to prevent any serious complications.

Treatment of Eucalyptus Poisoning

The treatment of eucalyptus poisoning in cats will depend on the amount of eucalyptus ingested and the severity of symptoms. The following are some common treatments that a veterinarian may use:

  1. Induce vomiting: If the cat has recently ingested eucalyptus, the veterinarian may induce vomiting to remove as much of the toxic substance as possible from the stomach.
  2. Administer activated charcoal: Activated charcoal can help to absorb any remaining toxins in the stomach and prevent further absorption into the bloodstream.
  3. Provide supportive care: The cat may need to be hospitalized for supportive care, such as fluids to prevent dehydration and oxygen therapy to help with breathing difficulties.
  4. Monitor liver function: Eucalyptus can cause liver damage, so the vet may take blood tests to monitor liver function and take appropriate measures if necessary.
  5. Provide symptomatic treatment: The cat may be given medications to relieve symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea, as well as to support breathing and heart function.
  6. Administer Vitamin K: If the cat’s blood tests show a decrease in clotting factors, due to liver damage, the cat may be given Vitamin K to prevent internal bleeding.
  7. Monitor for any other symptoms: The cat should be monitored for any other symptoms and treated as needed.

It’s important to note that some cats may require intensive care and hospitalization to recover from eucalyptus poisoning. The outcome for each case can vary and depends on the amount of eucalyptus ingested, the timing of treatment, and the overall health and age of the cat.

As a precaution, it’s important to keep eucalyptus plants out of reach of cats, and if you suspect that your cat has ingested eucalyptus, seek veterinary care immediately.

Get your first month for $5 with code 23GOFETCH

In conclusion, eucalyptus is a beautiful and fragrant plant, but it can be dangerous for cats. If you have a cat, it is best to avoid having eucalyptus in your home to keep your feline friend safe. If you suspect that your cat has ingested eucalyptus, seek veterinary care immediately.

Scroll to Top